What Insurance Agents Wish You Knew About Keeping Your Home Safe
It’s common for homeowners to be concerned about the risk of natural disasters from hurricanes to flooding to fires. If you’re looking to keep your home safe, U.S. News & World Report put together a list of expert-backed tips to keep your home safe and secure, which we summarized for you below. For the full article, click here.
- Make sure you have smoke alarms and that they are still working
- Pay close attention to your roof. Depending on the type of roof you have, you’ll likely need to replace it every 20 to 30 years.
- Install an automatic water shut-off device. These smart water systems can turn off water automatically in the event of a burst water pipe.
- Safeguard your home from hackers. Set up a firewall to prevent hackers from easily gaining access to your personally identifiable information (bank account information or email passwords) or access your smart home features such as your thermostat.
- Look for future safety risks. Look for anything that might be dangerous such as unfilled holes in your lawn, sharp pieces of broken metal or piping and vehicles on blocks all can cause serious injury.
Common Issues That Prevent Policyholders from Recovering Their Losses
An insurance policy isn’t a blank check in the event of property damage. In fact, there are certain things you should not do as that would prevent you from recovering what you are owed under your policy, including:
- Throwing away damaged personal property before the damage has been documented. If you throw something away then how can you prove that the damage actually happened?
- Not taking steps to remedy damage or to prevent additional damage, like covering a broken window and damaged roofs with a tarp after the storm. Not having accurate information on the value of your property and how much it will cost to repair it.
Keep in mind that insurance policies vary among insurance providers and among individual homeowners. It’s important that you understand the terms of your policy. Ask your insurance agent, and not a friend or neighbor, if you have coverage questions. But contact an experienced attorney if a dispute arises over a particular insurance claim.
Contact Us Today for Assistance
It is extremely important to understand the terms of your insurance policy so that you have an understanding of your rights under Florida law. The Insurance Litigation Group is comprised of experienced and skilled Florida attorneys who can assist you in determining what you are owed under your insurance policy and can help guide you through the complex claims process. If you think you have a claim against your policy, then Contact us today for a free consultation.